Wednesday, March 7, 2012

A Good Reminder

Once again, God met me right where I am.


Lou and I leave Monday for a 13 day trip to Europe. Oh my. I've about got the two weeks I'll be gone completely planned - schedule written out, menu planned, and most food bought. I've been in charge of making sure everything goes as smoothly as possible here, and Lou has been planning what we do in each city. We've also had more than a little help from Mona Coleman, our travel agent par excellence.


It's an understatement to say we are excited.


With that said, I want to share what God spoke to my heart this morning as I was reading in the book of Mark.


 And as he came out of the temple, one of his disciples said to him, “Look, Teacher, what wonderful stones and what wonderful buildings!” And Jesus said to him, “Do you see these great buildings? There will not be left here one stone upon another that will not be thrown down.”
(Mark 13:1-2 ESV)

When I read those words, I immediately thought of all the amazing buildings we plan to visit. Like the Sistine Chapel. You've probably heard of it. I'm sure Lou and I will be in awe of it.  And, we should be in awe. God gifted the men who built it and painted it. (Painted seems too small a word). I am all about appreciating beautiful, awe-inspiring works of men. 


Beauty speaks to the soul in all the right words.


I'm reminded of the Cabby in The Magician's Nephew, who, as he observes the creation of Narnia, says:

 ”Glory be!” said the Cabby.”I’d ha’ been a better man all my life if I’d known there were things like this.”

I expect to feel that way. 

But, on the other hand, the truth is, the amazing buildings we are planning to see will not last forever. While they are here on this earth, their main job is to point to the One who gifted the people to build them in the first place. Everything on this earth is temporary. It's for God's glory and, amazingly - our joy while we are here on this planet. 

This was not a "downer" in any way for me to think about. It's not a, "Yeah. See that building over there? Well, don't be too amazed, because it will eventually be rubble."

It's just a reminder of who's really behind such amazing things and what is really going to last. And that, is wonderful.

I perceived that whatever God does endures forever; nothing can be added to it, nor anything taken from it. God has done it, so that people fear before him.
Ecclesiastes 3:14 

No comments:

Post a Comment