Friday, January 28, 2011

By the Skin of My Teeth - Follow Through Friday

I can honestly say that this project would have never been completed this week save for the accountability of having to report in today. To my credit, as soon as I posted my Week 1 task, I went to the basement and found this. And as you can see, the date reads 2/06/06.  

Ok, so I've had it for nearly 5 yrs. I was glad to see that it was shipped from my beloved Tennessee. Good things obviously come from there....
 Nothing else happened until Monday. I called to order grille #2. Marvin man is out. Doesn't return my call Tues. or Wed., which have been crazy, busy days in their own right. So, it's now Thursday. Thursdays are the day I run errands for my mom, plus there's a ballgame that evening. Friday is looming, though, and I rummage through the left over paint cans and find the white. I have to stir it a good 10 minutes to feel like it's usable. I find a paintbrush in Mary Grace's art set and start painting.


It takes me all of 15 minutes at the most to slap the white on that grille.  Another coat - later that afternoon, and voila, I'm done. I make another call to the Marvin man - get his voicemail. Finally reached him this morning, and placed order for other grille. (Check)
Next order of business, put that puppy in its rightful place. Need to wash the window first and dust everything down. Once it's all cleaned up ready for my beautiful, worth waiting for, grille, I go to put it in. Uh-oh. There's a little too much grille there. Turns out, the grilles for the upper windows need to be squared on one side. In the picture below, I put it next to an old grille that's been in a sister window to show you what the bottom of it needs to look like. You can also see that the old grills need a little TLC.




 Nice. This is typically how all DIY projects work for me - there is always some unforeseen glitch. So, I need a circular saw-which I don't have, and would probably be nervous about using anyway- to fix this little problem. Remember, this is Friday morning about 11 am that this is all happening. Gotta fix this now. Ah yes! Eddie Lollar, an amazing guy who built our house, has a circular saw. Would he help a blogger in distress? Yes, he would. Yes, he did! Mary Grace and I hopped in the TL, took a nice drive out toward Bolivar Landing where Eddie is building a house, and he took care of my problem in less than 5 minutes. We enjoyed a nice drive to the country, visited with Eddie and his crew, and toured a house being constructed. It was a nice break in our day.
Then, back to the house, where finally, that silly grille is in the window. Will I notice it every time I drive up to the house? I think I grille will!

Week 2: By this time next week, our home office will be organized. I just took a "before" picture a few minutes ago, but I'm a little too embarrassed to put it up until I have an "after" picture to go with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment