Saturday, July 30, 2011

Follow Through Friday - The Sampler

The good news is I haven't let myself start any new needlework projects until this one is done. The bad news is I've been working on this project for about 20 years. Which is why I mentioned it last week in my Follow Through Friday.

My Follow Through Fridays will return...we've just been traveling so much this summer, that I'm all discombobulated. Just to help me get back on track, I'm giving myself a small goal this week. I have a sampler that is 22 years in the making (embarrassing). I worked on it some while we were at camp, and I'd like to work on it for at least an hour a week. So, next week, I'll report if that happens.

My report begins with a little background information. Not long after moving to Bolivar in 1988, we met Jim and Emily Frost, a Godly couple who led a ministry called Chi Alpha. Lou and I, young and kidless, helped with this 1990's version of the high school ministry, K-Life. We met in Jim and Emily's home on Wednesday nights, for fun, music, and teaching from God's Word. In their home, displayed on a wall near the entrance, was the following sampler.


I was admiring it one night, when Emily came and stood beside me. When I asked her how long it had taken her to make it, she told me that someone had made it for her. I had known before that moment that Emily was a Proverbs 31 woman, but it was triply confirmed knowing someone else had poured that much time into a project that said so much, and then given it away - to Emily. And I can say, after 22 years of knowing Emily, my respect and admiration for her has only grown. She is one of many women I have met that have inspired me to work at becoming a Proverbs 31 woman.

So inspired, 20 years ago, I decided to make that sampler - to have before me a reminder of what I want God to do in me.
My instruction booklet is showing it's 20 years old. Once that corner came off, I laminated it to keep it from completely falling apart.
There's a serious crease in the middle and I can't really tell what to do there, so I may need to purchase new instructions for the home stretch. I have everything done in that creased area - except the cat. And really, I do have a lot done! It's mostly outlining that's left.
My work in progress
And, I'm happy to report, I did put that hoped-for-hour in this week. It was on Thursday night, about 10 p.m., but it did happen. Follow through success! I'm so pumped about how close I am that I am purposing to work on it for at least an hour each week until it's done. I'll continue to report a thumbs up or thumbs down here no matter what my future follow throughs are.

Besides having a few stitches to put in, I also have a few stitches to take out before all is said and done. My poor little husband and wife in the picture below have an eye issue going on. It seems my french knot skills are inconsistent, to say the least.
But, if my eyes hold out and I stay consistent, it won't even be another year before this sampler will be frame-able. It's definitely been a work in progress. But I think know it will be worth it.

I'm a work in progress, too. Thankfully, I have some great examples to follow along the way.  Some real Proverbs 31 women. Their worth is far above jewels.
Thanks, Emily

Next week: Company's coming, so nothing new this week - except more work on my sampler...I know. I'm outta control.

No comments:

Post a Comment