Saturday, February 12, 2011

Follow Through Friday- The Basement

"Where there is no vision, the people perish: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he." Proverbs 29:18

This week's Follow Through Friday (that's being posted on Saturday because yesterday was crazy with life and away basketball games) was all about vision. In case you don't remember what I said in my last Follow Through post, here's an exact quote from one week ago:


This time next week I plan to have a written plan including paint colors, future furniture, floor changes and some kind of overall theme tying it all together.


I was to look at this amazing space we have - making it even more functional and more beautiful. The art of having a vision for spaces is hard for me. I so admire people who know exactly what they want, can see it with their mind's eye, and then they make it happen. Half of my problem is that I don't know exactly what I want. I see one picture in a magazine and I like that. Then I see another picture with a completely different look and feel, and I like that too.


Which one will I like the longest? The other half of my problem is that I've lived long enough now to know just how much work will be involved to get these things done. And I have a big lazy bone. Maybe I'm a bit lazy about these things because, in some ways, how well "my space" is all tied together doesn't matter that much to me.  I like things to be really neat and organized (that doesn't mean they are), but I'm not someone who is totally into decorating their house. I try not to feel like I have some female genetic deficiency because I'm like that.


 I really do love beauty, though. I feel it's important to surround our senses with beautiful things - beautiful music, beautiful words, beautiful spaces. God uses beauty to speak to our souls. So, I'm torn a bit. This is hard. And this week, because of that, it's not quite done. Oh, I've worked on it. Lou and I have talked and dreamed a little. I've asked the kids their opinions. I've asked questions like: "What would our dream basement look like? have in it? What would you like to be able to do down there?" 
I've made some notes, looked at pictures on the internet - even got out the blueprints! But I'm just not done. Remember, this is hard for me.  So, I'm going to continue it for another week. 


Here are some ideas we are bouncing around. Some of these elements we already have, and just need to improve upon. Some are new to the basement area and we may want to incorporate. 
  -exercise area
  -creative/wrapping/sewing area 
  -movie/gaming system area: David's mantra here: "We need an HD tv!"
  -pingpong table
  -puzzle table
  -game table
  -pinball machine (not $$ practical, but I think it would be so much fun)


Of course, this project has been bouncing around in my head all week. An unexpected connection was made in this brain regarding it Friday morning. I decided to stoke the fire before the kids were up so it would be blazing when they staggered in to eat. David was a few minutes early, so he sat in front of it until it was time for breakfast at 7:20. When Mary Grace came in, she made a bee-line for it also. I thought of the quote, "Build it and they will come." It took me a little extra time and energy to go get some wood, stir the embers and work with it to get it going. But something as small as a fire brought comfort and enjoyment to some people I love. I want to think that way more about my house (and the basement in particular right now). It's taking me some time and energy. It's hard for me (have I said that already?). But I want this physical space God has given us to be a place where the ones I love -family and friends - come for comfort and enjoyment. I know that feeling loved and having joy are not really a function of where you are, but who you're with. (Even more true and important, whose you are.) But if it's in your power to make where you are more beautiful, why not do it? Being hard for me is a poor excuse. Just do it, Shelley.

No comments:

Post a Comment