Friday, November 18, 2011

Follow Through Friday - Adages

Two weeks and two days ago, I began a little water experiment. I stated that two of my reasons for doing it were 1) I needed to drink more water and 2) this seemed like a task with a high rate of success.

#1 is still true and #2 proves the adage, things are not always what they seem.

I was successfully waterlogged until the first Sunday of the month. I had figured out that if I downed 40 oz before noon, I had no problem finishing off the last 32 oz before bed. A morning at church messed with that, and I never caught up the rest of that day. Monday, with Classical Conversations all day, proved challenging, but 72 oz made it into my system.  Tuesday was also successful, but then, Wednesday, I attended the morning production of SBU's The Sound of Music. It lasted 3 hours. It was a Sunday morning deja vu. Two failures in 7 days. This was not a good sign. How could I not do something as easy as drink water?

It's now 18 days into the month and I have drunk more than I normally do, but I have not downed 72 oz every day. I'm feeling pretty lame about that, but there's nothing I can do about it now. Or said another way:

There's no use crying over spilled milk.
And when you're blogging on the world wide web about a failed experiment:
Bad news travels fast.
I know what most of you are thinking about now. "I could easily succeed at a similar H2O experiment."
Don't judge a man til you've walked a mile in his boots.
And, in my boots, I should have remembered:
Don't bite off more than you can chew. (or, Don't pour more than you can swallow:)
And as I type this, I know that:
Hindsight is better than foresight.
I also need to not let this sour me toward trying to drink the needed amounts of water for the rest of the month because:
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.
If I try again, and I fail, I'll feel more lame.
Nothing hurts like the truth.
But,
Rome wasn't built in a day,
 and 
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
And yet:
Old habits die hard, 
and
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. (Scary)

My good intentions are going to see fruition, because:
You're never too old to learn.


And I've learned something, possibly the most true adage in this situation:

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.
(wink)

Note: If your interested, here's the link to 101 American English Proverbs.


Also, on another Follow Through Friday note, I actually did work on my sampler this week! Woohoo! Next week is Thanksgiving, so my focus will be on creating a beautiful, warm atmosphere in my home. I hope I can curl up close to the fire and sew a few more Xs.

No comments:

Post a Comment