Wednesday, November 2, 2011

My H2O Experiment

My recent 31 Day blogging adventure is messing with me. It's got me thinking about other activities I can participate in for a month block. I really like the bookends that the beginning and the end of a month create. A month is long enough to be challenging but short enough to avoid tedium. As Goldilocks would say, "It's just right."

I don't plan on reporting everyday on my activity like I just did with my 31 day series. I'll report at will, but at least once a week. So, what do I plan on doing every day for a month?

Drink at least 9 cups of water per day.

I picked this for a couple of reasons. First, most nights, right before I go to bed, I find I am so thirsty. I start guzzling water at that point, trying to make up for all I didn't drink during the day. Secondly, drinking water seems like a highly achievable goal. At least I thought it was. I actually started writing this blog post before November 1. I am finishing it on the evening of November 1, and this is what is keeping me company - and mocking me.
My last 15 oz that I need to drink today
I settled on the 9 cup quota based on information off of the Mayo Clinic website. Here's the pertinent paragraph from their "How much water a day" page.

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The Institute of Medicine determined that an adequate intake (AI) for men is roughly 3 liters (about 13 cups) of total beverages a day. The AI for women is 2.2 liters (about 9 cups) of total beverages a day.


I realize the word water is not mentioned in that paragraph. The emphasis is on fluid. But I'm wanting to specifically increase my water consumption, so I'm tweaking their recommendation for my month long H2O experiment. I also googled the benefits of drinking water. You can check them out here.  Number 3 is my favorite.

I don't plan on altering in any major way my eating and exercising habits. And, I'll drink any other liquids that I want.  But after today, I realize there's not going to be a ton of room for any other liquids. Heck, the way I feel right now, there's not going to be a ton of room for anything, so maybe benefit #1 could make an appearance. That would be welcome.

So, here goes nothing, er, water - at least 72 oz of it for me every day this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment