Sunday, January 15, 2012

My Word of the Year

We are all only 16 days into 2012. Does the year still feel new to you? It was losing that fresh, new feeling to me until I saw a challenge on a beautiful, inspiring blog I follow. Over at The Lettered Cottage, readers were encouraged to pick a word of the year - something that inspires you to be, well, inspired and inspiring!



Isn't that how all good things are? Good for you and good for others. My dad used to say that you knew a deal was good if it passed that criterion. Good for you. Good for them.


Hopefully, my word will fit that bill. I wish it were a more flowery word, with a bunch of syllables, but it’s not. But it packs a punch for me. And since I decided on it, it has already helped. My word for 2012 is 

As in, do it now. Whatever it is.
Speak the encouraging word now, when you think of it. Or call, text.
Go through the mail now. Don’t let it pile up.
Make the decision now. Procrastination limits your options. Is it really going to be easier to think about and make the decision later? Are you going to have any more time later?
Put the item in its place now, instead of on the dining room table.
Return the phone call now.
Make the menu for the week now instead of “winging it.”  
Eat healthier now.
Spend time with your kids now.
Finish ____ now.
You get the picture. I have major tendencies to procrastinate. Procrastination births regret. And I’m tired of nursing that baby. So I'm stopping that bad habit now.
Now also carries the sense of being fully engaged in the present. Bloom where you are planted. Glorify God where you are.  Most of you have probably heard the quote: "Today is a gift. That's why it's call the present." That's cause for fully engaging and for saying "thank you." Now.

So now, I'm out there with this word, this goal for 2012. It feels good. And I think know my dad would like it. It's good.

2 comments:

  1. I like it!! I tried to come up with an acronym but, really, No Other Words help describe it better! NOW has enough meaning on it's OWN:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Following you from Layla's party-glad to meet you-stop over for a visit!

    ReplyDelete