Monday, April 22, 2013

Forward Thinking

You know what I've noticed?

God is very forward thinking.

Who would have thought that watching a video of my 7 year old son say a poem would spawn that thought?

I love it, though, when you're in the middle of an every day kind of thing, and you have a "God thought." Some thing or some task is before you, and all of the sudden, you are thinking something true and good about God. When you think something true and good about God, you come away encouraged.  

I was very glad for that "God thought" to appear, too. The thoughts I was having right before it happened weren't too pretty. I'd spent a significant chunk of time watching/fast forwarding through home movies looking for our David reciting a poem when he was just a youngster. (I'm on this little poetry kick because April is National Poetry Month. Don't pretend you're not excited!)

I was frustrated because, although each tape is dated, it is not labeled, so I have no idea what is on each video. So, instead of going directly to the tape with the card that says, "David - poem," I kept my finger on the fast forward button, scanning for that sweet little face of his.  Obviously, I did not have much forward thinking as far as home videos are concerned. Can I recommend right now, to any of you out there taking videos of your kids, to have some kind of card included by your tapes or DVDs that generally describes what is on the silly thing? 

Finally, my frustration gave way to relief and I found a poem.

Below, you'll enjoy David saying "Boats Sail On The Rivers," by Christina Rossetti. It's a simple poem that reminds us that the beauty God creates trumps all beauty that man creates. Remember to read through it first before you watch David, or you'll be leaning in close to try to make out what he's saying. Enunciate, boy! For an encore, I included an even younger David saying the very first poem he memorized. 

Also, I guarantee your going to notice something immediately when you watch the first video. This "something" inspired my "God thought." So after you watch my sweet boy recite his poems, I'll end with that.
 

                                                             Boats Sail On The Rivers
Boats sail on the rivers,
And ships sail on the seas;
But clouds that sail across the sky
Are prettier far than these.
There are bridges on the rivers,
As pretty as you please;
But the bow that bridges heaven,
And overtops the trees,
And builds a road from earth to sky,
Is prettier far than these.





Encore: Thirty Days Have September



Like I said at the beginning - God is very forward thinking.

I think those teeth in that little boy is proof of that! He knew that my boy would need them and grow into them - perfectly! He fashioned us, and knows exactly what we need and when we'll need it. I also thought of a forward thinking verse found in Ephesians 2:10.

For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.

God made us. He knows how we work best and what brings us great joy. Good works. Which He prepared in advance for us to do. 

That's forward thinking. 

That's encouraging. Reminding yourself of that truth will help you get out of bed in the morning!

Thanks, God.




And to show you just how well David has grown into those teeth...

He's on the left:)

David and Luke


No comments:

Post a Comment