Friday, April 26, 2013

Hebrew Poetry

So far this April, I've "embarrassed" 3 of my 6 children. It is now very close to the end of National Poetry Month, and I still have 3 to go! Thankfully, I have found decent clips of the three youngest reciting.

Believe me, I've gone through quite a bit of home video to find these treasures. Do you take home videos? Not only could they potentially win you $10,000, they also record moments that are priceless. Here's a couple of things I've learned after watching many home videos this month.

Take more videos of the everyday moments than you do of the "special" moments. Those concerts, musicals, and sports events are nice, but they have been what I've fast forwarded through. I've lingered over the clips of the kids playing in the house or yard. I'm thankful for all the times I zoomed in closely to their face. I can see - so readily - who they are now in who they were then. That has been a beautiful bittersweet gift.

The poem I'm sharing today is a different kind of poetry, but it is poetry nonetheless.

Hebrew poetry.

Our Faith is reciting Psalm 1, which all the children memorized at one point or another. She is our fast talker, and you will hear me admonish her early in the poem to speak "very plainly, now." She does a great job of trying to slow down and enunciate. She gets tickled mid way through, which is so innocent and happy and real.

There's something profound and lasting about the words a child memorizes when they are young. This was driven home to me just last night when I was about to record this clip. I was watching it through one time on our tv just to make sure I knew when to push the record button, etc, when Elizabeth came in the room. She immediately began saying part of this Psalm with the video.

Those are good, powerful, true words to have in your back pocket.

I've included these good, powerful, true words for you to read before you listen to sweet Faith.

May reading these words and hearing these words increase your faith!

Blessings!

Psalm 1

1 Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. 
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.
3 He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers. 
4 Not so the wicked! They are like chaff that the wind blows away. 
5 Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous. 
6 For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.



No comments:

Post a Comment