Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Just Under the Gun

I'm making it just under the gun.

Today is April 30, the last day of National Poetry Month.

It is fitting that my last poem of the month is recited by my last child.

And she's talking about Caterpillars.

I am not a crawly, insect kind of girl at all. Just thinking about that Entomology project I had to do in college makes me shiver. In an effort to like caterpillars better, I looked at some fun facts about them on About.com. They actually list 10, but it was only the first one that really made me smile. And a little jealous. ;)

Fun fact: The caterpillar has just one job - to eat.

I'm assuming he loves his job, which means I have something in common with an insect. It may not be my only job, but I do have to do it. And I never have to be made to.

I know they turn into beautiful butterflies - which is something - but the only other reason that makes me smile about this larva, is that my Mary Grace talks about them. She leaves out a line or two, but who even notices? She's so stinking cute and endearing. Who can't help but be endearing when you try your hardest, but can't quite say the word "caterpillar."

Please enjoy this short, and very sweet finale to my poetry celebration.


Caterpillar
Brown and furry
Caterpillar in a hurry,
Take your walk
To the shady leaf, or stalk,
Or what not,
Which may be the chosen spot.
No toad spy you,
Hovering bird of prey pass by you;
Spin and die,
To live again a butterfly.
                     Christina Rossetti


                           




No comments:

Post a Comment