Friday, April 22, 2016

The Half of It

Tomorrow, I was supposed to be heading to OKC to participate in a half marathon. 

I'm still going to OKC - but not to participate. I'm going to cheer on our Hannah, who has been training like a crazy woman in preparation for her first marathon on Sunday morning. I could not be more excited for her or more proud of her. She's the one who actually suggested I do the 1/2 while she did the whole. 

"Lots of women your age do it, Mom!"

I'd never seriously considered doing such a thing, as I loathe running, but I had heard that there were programs out there where you walk/jog those 13.1 miles. I recruited a friend to train with me, and we began a 12 week walk/jog (3 minute walk - 1 minute jog) program that surprisingly, we both really enjoyed!

Things were going great until the beginning of week 4, when I noticed a muscle in my backside telling me he didn't love all this concentrated, consistent activity that I'd been doing. He not only screamed at me when I was training, he started aching all the time whether or not I was training. But, when the schedule said to do a little 6 mile walk/jog on February 27, I decided to push through and take my aching body out for the workout. I figured I'd be hurting if I trained or didn't train...might as well train.

Bad decision. 

The Reader's Digest condensed version of that fateful day went like this:

--I put in those 6 miles...was uncomfortable the whole time, but managed to go 6 miles in 1:13:10 for a 12:10 pace.
--Rode in the car immediately afterwards for about an hour.
--When I tried to get out of the car after that ride, I couldn't bear weight on my right leg without serious pain.
--PT friend happened to be around and...
--Diagnosed me with a piriformis problem.
--Ridiculous amount of difficulty walking for next few days.
--Advised to stop training. 
--Was ok with that because I was hurting - a lot.
--Eventually pain free one month after injury.
--Now that I wasn't hurting, I wanted to train again.
--Too late
--Can't participate.
--Bummed

And today, I'm confessing I'm still a little bummed, but know that in God's good care and provision, this is OK. He's got me. He's got this. And, I want to honor Him in it.

And, I'm gonna honor Him by cheering my head off for my marathon running girl!

Go Hannah!

And because I'm weird like this, I wrote a little poem. (I wrote most of it soon after Feb 27, but just now completing)

Enjoy;)


Ode to the Piriformis

The schedule said, "Today - 6 miles!"
And determined - off I went
Sure, my backside whined and ached
But who knew exactly what that meant.

I finished strong. The pace? 12’2”
Not bad for this ol gal!
Not bad until I tried to walk
The piriformis? Not my pal.


My leg, it screamed, “Don’t stand on me!
You’ve done it now, yes sir.”
The PT guy he did agree
And the rest is just a blur.

That piriformis right there, right now,
Was angry as can be. 
It’s gone on strike and said, “No way
 A half with me.”

To say I’m bummed is half as weak 
As this girl really feels.
But that's ok, it's not that bleak
I'll cheer Hannah on with squeals. 


I’m thankful, though, it’s only this -
A muscle, mad and sore
It’s fixable with lots of time 
And stretches on the floor.






Post a 5 mile walk/jog - the good ol' days;)


No comments:

Post a Comment