Thursday, June 28, 2012

Five Big Words

Tuesday, Mary Grace encouraged me without even knowing it.

That night about 9:30, she asked if she could text her friend's mom and ask if her dear friend, Gracie, could workout with the her and the cross country group early the next day. Here's how the conversation went:


It's the line followed by the smiley face and thumbs up sign that got to me.

I don't know of too many words that are more encouraging than "I will stay with her." And when those words are followed by a smiley face and a thumbs up sign? Well, a person is darn near ready to conquer the world.

All we all need to know is that we've got somebody by our side. In our court. Doing the hard stuff with us.

After my casual, happy reading of that text, my thoughts went down a couple three roads.

First, it made me thank God for those people in my life who are with me. With me by encouraging me in one way or another. They may literally be with me, or they may let me know they are with me in spirit by a timely text, email, or call. That old fashioned thing called a letter has also been known to have the words I needed to hear. Those things keep a person keeping on.

Her text also made me think of our God. He also tells us over and over that He, too is by our side. In our court. Doing the hard stuff with us. A couple of verses from his letter illustrate just that.

Deuteronomy 31:6 Be strong and courageous. Do not fear or be in dread of them, for it is the LORD your God who goes with you. He will not leave you or forsake you.”

Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Psalm 23:4  Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;  your rod and your staff, they comfort me.


And those verses are just a sample of the "God is with us" pie.

And lastly, that beautiful text encouraged me to be what Mary Grace was to Gracie, and inadvertently, to me: an ENCOURAGER. When a complimentary thought comes through your mind about someone - even someone random - don't hold back! Let that encouragement out! Somebody in your circle needs to know you are with them. In their court. Doing the hard stuff with them.

There are three miles to be run.

There is life to be lived.






No comments:

Post a Comment