Wednesday, September 19, 2012

15 Minutes

True confession time.

I can be busy all day long and not get much done.

How frustrating is that? I'll tell you - very, exceedingly, intensely, decidedly.

The above happens when I spend the day reacting to the many "fires" burning in my home. I respond to them, but usually, they don't get resolved. And I really have no plan to put them out. I just walk from room to room  - reacting. I used to think this happened because I just didn't have enough time to get everything done.

But I'm becoming more and more convinced that the reason I don't put some of the fires out is because I lack focus. I don't want to concentrate on a particular fire - usually for one of the following reasons.

     1. I'd rather be doing something else
     2. I can't do it perfectly right now, so I'm going to wait until later when I have the time to do it
         "perfectly."
     3. It will take too much time.
     4. It will take too much energy.
     5. I might do it "wrong."
     6. I have a lazy bone.

Wow. That was cathartic.

So, what do I do when I find I'm having those kind of days more often than not?

I remember The Flylady.

A few years ago, I was introduced to The Flylady. It was there I learned a little habit that helps me focus. Why I don't do this on a daily basis, I don't know. Every time I employ this little trick, I always sit back and admire what I've done.

The trick?

SET A TIMER FOR 15 MINUTES and work at a particular task like your life depended on it.

Talk about focus. Whenever I do this, I have tunnel vision. I work like I'm about to have a visit from the President of the United States - complete with camera crew - and I need to be ready!

That kind of little game/competition works well for my little competitive spirit.

And when that timer goes off, I stop. It feels good to have gotten something done. It also feels good to know you have permission to stop. You had a goal (work like a crazy person for 15 minutes), and you completed that goal.

I promise that if you do this little exercise, you'll be amazed at what you've accomplished in such a short time.

I'd also encourage you to check out The Flylady's website. There's all kinds of helpful habits there. I haven't been there myself in a couple of years. Revisiting it in preparation for this post inspired me all over again to not live in CHAOS (Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome). I know I'll be heading back over there!

And a kind of interesting last note:

I started this post on Tuesday. I didn't finish writing it that day (yesterday) and on Wednesday, my hubby and I spent the day in Springfield. We stopped by Barnes and Noble and as I was glancing over the books on the  "New Releases" table, this caught my eye:




I haven't read this book, so I can't wholeheartedly recommend it, but I thought it was so funny I'd see this with my unfinished "15 minutes" post simmering in my brain.

So, I guess I'm not the only person who struggles a bit with this. I'd love to hear some ideas any of you have that help you focus and get things done.

I want to be busy, but not frustrated, and I want to get the right things done!


1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed a quote for many years - "If anything is worth doing, it's worth doing poorly." I think Chesterton is credited with the quote, though those may not be his exact words. I'm not sure I ever cleaned house the best I could - and I'm not sure I should have!

    ReplyDelete