Tuesday, October 11, 2011

31 Days of Words for the Daily Dash-Day 11

I blew a golden opportunity recently.

My hometown of Bolivar, MO, just put in a much needed sidewalk near the schools which are just down the street from my house. It looks so great. It's just begging you to walk on it. I pass it every day - multiple times. When the guys who had been building it were putting the finishing touches on it the other day, I almost, on a couple of drive bys, rolled my window down to say, "Great job! It looks awesome!" But every time, I talked myself out if it. I obviously forgot what Proverbs 25:11 teaches.

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver.


In other words, the right word at the right time is beautiful. It's valuable. It encourages. And everybody needs encouragement.

Our spouses.
Our kids.
Our friends.
Our coworkers.
Our pastors.
Our teachers.
Our salesclerks.
Our drive-thru attendants.
Our sidewalk builders.


I have quoted this verse often to my children. And I'm not usually shy about speaking to complete strangers. But, for whatever reason, I was to those hard working sidewalk guys. And I regret it. I missed a chance to encourage.

Today, however, is a new day, with all new opportunities. Let's do something valuable. Let's do something beautiful. Let's speak an encouraging word.

No comments:

Post a Comment