Friday, October 21, 2011

31 Days of Words for the Daily Dash-Day 21

I've already quoted Elisabeth Elliot three times in this series - herehere, and here. Figuring I need to spread the joy around a bit, my next statement hails from a different Elliot. Elisabeth's first husband, Jim Elliot, was one of five missionaries killed as they tried to make contact with the Waudoni people of Ecuador. In 1983, Elisabeth published his journals, and in that book is a quote that is one of those big picture quotes. It's one that I've gone back to over and over again as a check - a life check.

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

The other night, my family watched Beyond the Gates of Splendor, a documentary about the five missionaries' lives. We had seen it before, and it moved me to tears once again. 


I highly recommend it. It will inspire you.

And we all need inspiration, don't we? We get so busy in life taking care of the urgent that we sometimes even forget to ponder the important. Pondering the important helps us live more purposely as we take care of the urgent.

I've first heard this quote back in the 80's and it impacted me then. It still affects me today. And as I've contemplated it anew, it's occurred to me that it would be a good prayer to pray.

Lord, help me always be willing to give what I cannot keep to gain what I cannot lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment