Wednesday, October 5, 2011

31 Days of Words for the Daily Dash-Day 5

I remember it well.

 At the beginning of my freshman year of college, I called my brother, Andy, in a moment of panic. Although 5 years older, he was a freshman also - in medical school - and we were both attending ORU in Tulsa, Ok. Before he knew what hit him, I filled his ear with this barrage of words that were all variations on the same theme. "I can't get it all done!" Once he was able to get a word in edgewise, he introduced my to the phrase that I often say to myself when it feels like life is careening out of control.

Live in day-tight compartments. 


As I was googling whether or not to hyphenate day-tight, I saw that this is actually a quote by  William Osler, who has been called the "Father of Modern Medicine." My brother, who is incredibly well read, probably credited Osler, and now, I will too. I can be thankful to two people - Andy and William -  for this calming, break-it-into-manageable-pieces, phrase.

That day, Andy expounded on that sentence even further. He told me that if day-tight compartments still seemed too daunting, break it down into hourly compartments. Still too big? Minute compartments. Just start doing what I needed to do for the chosen amount of time.

I was helped that day. I said that line to myself many times throughout my college years. I still hear it when I start trying to live tomorrow's issues today. I hope I listen.

And, I hope I pick the needed compartment... and live!

No comments:

Post a Comment