Saturday, October 29, 2011

31 Days of Words for the Daily Dash-Day 29

It's been 7 years since my dad died. But I can still hear his voice - especially saying the phrase I'm going to share with you today. This is what he'd say, when, as a teenager, I'd be moaning and groaning about something. These were the words he'd say as he would hug a teary-eyed me goodbye when it was time to make the 8 hour drive back to college.  On my wedding day, this is what he said quietly in my ear  right after he said, "Her mother and I."

It's nothing but fun.

I never really pinned him to the wall about the veracity of this phrase. Obviously, not everything we go through is "fun." His death was not fun. I never questioned him about it because I knew what he really meant. At least, I knew the meaning I gave to it.

When he said those four words, I knew I was to look for the good in the situation. I was to seize the joy of the moment. And I was to be hopeful and confident about the future. Being alive was a great adventure, and you never know what's just around the corner.

Before he died, Dad self published a book - My Life as a Country Doctor.
This cover picture is of  my Dad in his office holding my now 22 year old, Luke
In it are some of his "nothing but fun" stories. His adventures. They are not all happy. One chapter is titled,  My Saddest Day in Practice. But even in that chapter, he shared the kindness and compassion that others showed to him. He saw that as a real gift. And he was thankful. It's that kind of living that is hopeful, that gives you confidence.

I think if I could ask dad what all he really meant by this statement, I think the words gift and thankful would be sprinkled in the conversation. Life is nothing if not a gift. A gift from God. But using the word fun is so my dad. It still rings in my ear.  And I'm thankful.

Note: My dad was thankful too. Below is the last paragraph he wrote in his book.

I hope you, as a reader of this book, know that I am blessed to have been a country doctor, and that I am blessed to have practiced where I did, when I did, and am fortunate to have been born in America.  Life has been good to me.  I am grateful.

1 comment:

  1. This brought tears to my eyes. I still miss him, and wish Corey and Naomi could fully understand what a great man he was...I do and will continue to tell them often.

    ReplyDelete