Friday, October 2, 2015

My Tribe's Vibe: 3 Little Words.

I'm one of those people who love quotes.

The last time I participated in the 31 days writing challenge,


my series was all about quotes. As I ease into this blogging marathon about family life, it seems fitting to start where I ended last time: with a quote.

I wish I'd come across these words back when I was just starting the whole parenting journey! It's short and sweet and so perfectly to the parenting point - the "go-to" answer to anyone asking, "What's your parenting philosophy?" (I don't think anyone's ever asked me that, but it's always good to be prepared).

I ran across it just a couple of months ago in the beginning chapter of this book:




On page 7, Mark Batterson says:

"I have a very simple parenting philosophy that boils down to just three words: please, sorry, and thanks. If all else fails, I want to teach my kids to be really good at saying those three words--and then doing them! If they master please, sorry, and thanks, they are will on their way to a great marriage, great friendships, and a great relationship with God."

Please. Sorry. Thanks.

Isn't that seriously a great summary of all you strive to teach your children? Doesn't your heart rejoice when you hear those words come out of their mouths in complete sincerity?

We heard those words from our children over the years. Sometimes spontaneously and sincerely, and sometimes...not so spontaneously and definitely not so sincerely. (I still struggle a bit with what to do when the latter happened. Mostly, I prayed, prayed, prayed, and hoped for a change of heart.) But either way, we just had to keep on keeping on instilling those principles we knew were good and right. And it is good and right to teach our children to be polite, to be sorry, (appropriately) and to be thankful.

This parenting gig takes staying power, doesn't it?

Please, Lord help us!
Sorry, (not sorry) we keep coming to you for help!
Thanks for how you keep your promise and do help!

Blessings,
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment