Tuesday, October 20, 2015

My Tribe's Vibe: A Lie

There were days when I believed a lie. 

A few examples of days when that happened were:

      - when I yelled at one or more of the kids

     -  when I felt like a complete failure at correcting them. I didn't know what to say, and what I did say came out all wrong and they didn't seem sorry and I fumbled all over the place with my words.

     - when I said something that, the minute I said it, and saw the look on their face, I knew I had crushed them. 

     - when I didn't follow through on something I said I would do.

     - when I was cranky and took it out on them.

Basically, it was any day that I saw what an imperfect parent I am. 
So imperfect. 
So inadequate.

On those days I didn't just believe I was imperfect like all humans are. I believed the lie that I was completely inept at parenting and at life. I remember one particularly hard day crying, "I'm ruining our children!" to my husband.

But the truth is:

-God made me the mom of these kids. On purpose. For their good and for mine. They need me and I need them. 
-God equips us for what He calls us to do.
-God gives wisdom when we ask for it (James 1)
-I haven't ruined them. I'm not ruining them. I love them and love covers a multitude of sins. (I Peter 4:8)
-I must preach to myself more than I listen to myself.
-There are no perfect parents. Ask God to forgive me when I do sin against them. Then, forgive myself and go on.

Go on and send that lie packing back to the pit it came from. 


3 comments:

  1. "I must preach to myself more than I listen to myself"....love it! Enjoyed this Shelley!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, your post actually inspired my post for tomorrow...I linked to it if that's ok! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lauren! Totally great to link! Thank you for your kind words!

      Delete