Monday, October 5, 2015

My Tribe's Vibe: Do Again

When you reach my stage of parenting, you look back through the years and start rating your parenting practices. Or, at least, I have. I've classified them into 2 camps.

The "Do Again."
The "Do-Over."

So, I thought for the next few days, I'd share some from each camp. These are not going to be in any particular age appropriate order. If I were more organized, I'd do that for you, starting with toddlers and ending with teenagers. But I'm not, so, random it is.

Something I would do again in a heart beat is read aloud to my children. I'm not talking about when they are preschool age (although I would also do that again, but I'm going to talk about that in another post). I'm talking about when they are school age. Basically, you don't stop reading out loud to them just because they formally start school.

Homeschooling introduced me to this concept, but it is a practice that our family continued for a few years even after our children began attending public school, and before our evenings were commandeered by sports events.

Here's a link to an article that talks about why this is good. I agree with all those reasons for sure, but I also love a good story with people I love! They weren't so little any more, but everybody still grabbed a comfy spot in the family room and cozied up. The memories of that time together reading are some of my most precious.

So now, the next question is, what to read? Sonlight has our go-to list that is broken down by ages. You can find it here.

Another thought I'd mention when you are thinking about what to read - consider books that have stood the test of time and are considered classics. It matters what we read to our children.

I'll end here with a few of my family's favorite read-a-louds.

Blessings!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment